Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Inaugural Entry!

Before I post the first five new terms- “new” being a relative term; some of these are a few years old- I wanted to throw out a thought on formatting. As you’ll see below I went with a pretty standard set-up for each entry, but that’s just me. Anyone who eventually posts here can set up their entries however they damn well please.

And, with that out of the way, the first official entry in The Vernacular Project!


Arctic madness: (noun) erratic behavior brought on by extreme, usually unexpectedly cold weather. (“It was so cold at the Met game that Brendan was throwing chunks of his pretzel at Lou. He must have had Arctic madness.”)

Before your birthday: (adjectival phrase) quickly, especially more quickly than expected. (“We’re not going to be late for the movie; I know a shortcut that will get us there before your birthday.”)

Bitty-bottom: (noun/adjective) the southernmost or lowest point of something; opposite of “tippy-top.”

I just opened up my pound cake!: (exclamation) an expression of dismay over something ending as soon as one arrived.

Sugar up: (verb)1. to imbibe any sort of high-sugar, possibly caffeinated beverage or snack in order to avoid falling asleep at an inopportune time. (“I have a department meeting at 9:30 tomorrow morning. I’m going to have to sugar up as soon as I get into the office.”)


2. Can also be used to be synonymous with "buck up" or "cowboy up", though neither of those terms can be used synonymously with the first definition of "sugar up."

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget "bison rider."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought "Cowboy Up" was a friendly was to tell someone to act like a man, or be ready to get down to business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, Dan. That second definition is kind of confusing. It's been edited to (hopefully) be more clear.

    ReplyDelete